A Recommended Cleaving or Cutting Procedure for Simplus Brand or any Bare Fused Silica Capillaries is as follows:
- Place the Capillary over a large Diameter Radius Surface such as large pipe or tube.
- Keep the Capillary under slight Tension.
- Hold a fresh, Clean Cleaving Stone at an approximately 30º angle to the Capillary.
- Drag the edge of the Cleaving Stone across the Fiber penetrating the Polyimide Coating. Do not apply excessive Pressure.
- Pull the capillary HORIZONTALLY until it breaks (see illustration below).
- If the Capillary will not break, the Polyimide has not been properly cut.
- Repeat the above Steps.